Monday, August 4, 2014

Being Bad at Running Makes Me a Winner

These days, I am a runner, not a dancer.

And if you get down to it, I am not really a runner.  I am a run/walker who does that for ridiculously long distances and times.  But for simplicity sake, let's just call me a runner.

I miss dancing.  I love dancing.  I feel dancing in my guts and the desire to dance is present with me whenever I hear music.  Even music I don't particularly like, still makes me think of how I could move my body to it.  

I do not love running.  I don't even really like running.  But I can run without judging myself (too much).  I have zero talent for running.  No amount of work and time spent training will ever make me an elite runner. With running, I can let go of the relentless and unreasonable perfectionism I judge myself by, and just go.  I will never be a great runner, so it is ok for me to be a bad runner.

Running half marathons and marathons requires work.  It requires training.  It requires preparation and weeks of dedication and a plan.  (And, if you are me, it requires a calendar where you can put sparkle stickers up to see your progression and training success.  And costumes.  But that is a whole other blog post.)  It isn't something that anyone off the street can just get up and do on a whim (or at least, not without wrecking themselves).  

But, even as a fat girl, even as a non-athlete, even as a bad runner, if I stick to the plan and work hard, I can finish a race. 

With running, finishing is winning.  Winning in a way I never allowed myself with dancing, because I couldn't (and can't) let go of the idea that I should be a good dancer.

With running, I allow myself to be proud.  Proud of my accomplishment, proud of all the work I did, proud of finishing.  In a way that I don't have in any other area of my life, running makes me feel good about myself.

There is a reason I cry during every race I do.  But for once, it isn't depression.        

No comments:

Post a Comment